240 CALORIES 45g CARBS 1g FAT 13g PROTEIN
MyWW® SmartPoints™ New!
I love a good bowl of soup. It can warm you up from the inside out and make pretty much any situation feel comfy and cozy.
This soup is a take on a classic black bean soup, made with just a few simple ingredients. Adding boiling broth eliminates the need for soaking the beans and I love the addition of some heat.
I prefer this soup blended until it is nice and smooth, but you can also leave it chunky or just blend half of it for a thicker soup that still has some texture.
Top with your favorite garnishes and you are ready for anything.
This soup uses all vegetarian ingredients for a hearty dish that will fill you up.
- Black Beans: Since this is simmering all day in the slow cooker, you can use dry beans without soaking them overnight. You should still rinse them off before you use them. If you are pressed for time, use a few cans of black beans instead. This will reduce the cooking time by a few hours.
- Onion: One way to speed up food prep is to use frozen diced onions. Although, I prefer to use fresh onion because it has a lot more flavor.
- Peppers: I used both red and green bell peppers. Add some yellow bell peppers for even more color and taste.
- Garlic Cloves: Fresh garlic cloves are always best, but the jarred minced garlic works really well too.
- Fire-Roasted Tomatoes: Add the entire can, even the juice, to the slow cooker. For a bit more spice, add some tomatoes with green chilies too.
- Vegetable Broth: Using canned vegetable broth is a time-saver, but you can make your own too.
- Taco Seasoning: Here is my recipe for homemade taco seasoning. However, a packet from the store is just as good.
- Bay Leaf: The bay leaf is optional, but I found that it gives soups an earthier undertone.
- Salt and Pepper: You just need enough salt and pepper to give it a little more flavor.
What To Serve With Black Bean Soup
There are so many different ways to enjoy this soup and what you serve with it can change.
Try some of my favorite ideas:
Recipe Ideas and Tips
Follow these tips to make sure that this soup turns out hearty every single time!
- For a smoother soup, use an immersion blender to lightly blend some of the ingredients together. Do this after it is fully cooked.
- Taste the soup after it has cooked. Add additional salt and pepper as needed. Some types of taco seasoning don’t need any extra salt, and some do!
- Garnish the soup with your favorite toppings like avocado, queso fresco, cilantro, or sour cream.
Frequently Asked Questions About Crockpot Black Bean Soup
Here are some questions I frequently get asked about by some readers…
Can you freeze black bean soup?
Yes, you can freeze this soup and save it for later. My favorite way to freeze soup is to let it cool off completely and then store it in a freezer-safe resealable plastic bag. Lay it flat on a baking sheet and freeze it that way.
After it is completely frozen, you can remove the baking sheet and just keep the soup in the freezer. The soup will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months.
How do you store the soup?
The best way to store this soup is in the refrigerator in an airtight container. I like to store soups inside mason jars because they seal really tight and won’t leak.
Soup will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Can I add meat to the soup?
Yes, you can add your favorite type of meat to the soup! I think it will taste amazing with some shredded chicken breast or chorizo sausage.
How do I make it taste even spicier?
If you want the soup to taste spicier, add a few splashes of hot sauce or some jalapeno slices.