I have a slight obsession with eggs muffins and make them almost weekly for quick breakfasts and snacks. Truth be told, I probably eat this more often as a post workout snack than I do for breakfast. They are also a great way to clean out your fridge since you can pretty much toss anything in and they will taste delicious.
Like many of my egg muffin recipes, this version was created late on Sunday as I was preparing for the week ahead. After a quick revision of the fridge, I immediately knew I needed to use up some leftover deli ham. Since a grilled ham, cheese, and tomato is one of my favorite sandwiches, I used that for inspiration and made an egg muffin with the same delicious ingredients, plus some spinach for greens. Within ten minutes they were in the oven and within 30 minutes, I had breakfast and snacks prepped for the week.
When making these Ham and Cheese Egg Muffins, remember:
- You can use absolutely any combination of veggies you like in these muffins. Personally I like to cook most veggies (tomatoes are the exception) before adding them to the egg muffins. I think it makes for a better texture.
- Just like the veggies, you can switch up the deli meat and cheese. Turkey and even roast beef turn out great as do pretty much any variety of cheese you like.
- If possible, let these cool completely before refrigerating them. I find they keep the best this way and don’t get soggy from the extra moisture that’s released as they cool.
Looking for more egg muffin recipes?
Here are some tools that helped when I was preparing this recipe:
- Muffin tin: Although I used a metal muffin tin for the photos, usually I reach for a silicone muffin tin for making egg muffins since they stick the least. It almost guarantees that your muffins will pop right out after cooking. If not, you may want to use paper liners for the muffins.
- Since ham is one of those products that can have a lot of fillers and extras, I usually try to stick to a more natural brand like Applegate or splurge for the in house baked ham at Whole Foods.